Hey hey hey, yea yea yea I know. Where the hell have you been. Well life happens & that’s all I’ll say, lets get to this awesome Carrot Cake recipe made by my momma!
I’m not quite the baker, but I’m definitely open to learning, I don’t think I ever gave it a fair try. My mom on the other hand loves baking and everything that has to do with it. She gets an itch to bake more during the winter and holiday times and yesterday she made some yummy carrot cake with walnuts.
1cup of walnuts, chopped (optional)
2 cups of carrots, cleaned and grated. (you can go ahead and buy the already shredded ones if you’re too lazy, but I’m telling you the taste wont be the same)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup melted butter (Unsalted)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
*If you’re using carrots that are already shredded you can skip this part.
- Wash & Clean the outer skin off of your carrots
- Grate carrots on that good ol grater, if you have a food processor you can use that also to pick up the pace, and that’s it. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degress
- To your mixer add white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract and four eggs. Mix on medium/high speed for about 2 minutes, then add melted butter and vegetable oil mix on low for 30 seconds.
- Add the flour, allspice, ground nutmeg,cinnamon,baking powder and baking soda to a bowl and sift it over into another bowl to combine the ingredients together and make a light fluffy texture. To sift you can use a hand held strainer, hold it over a clean bowl and place the flour into the strainer to allow the flour mixture to run through and into the clean bowl. Set aside. ( I really hope that made sense,if not see pictures.)
- Place mixer on Med/high speed & add flour to the egg and sugar mixture gradually, allowing it to completely mix before adding more flour.
- While your mixer is still on add your chopped walnuts (Optional). Allow that to mix for another 30/45 seconds.
- Now you can add your shredded carrots, keep the machine on its med/high speed and just allow that to combine and mix thoroughly for about 1 minute.
- Now you can place the mixture into your greased baking dish! allowing at least two inches in space from the top because it will rise. Bake on 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, be sure to check with a toothpick in the center to ensure that when you poke it, it comes out with no cake batter. That’s how you know its done! then, ENJOY!