Okay Okay, I know it’s a new year and everyone’s being fake healthy and turning a new leaf, so why would I start the year off with a fried chicken and cheddar waffle recipe? Well technically I made this last year, time just got away from me during the holidays and I hadn’t had time to upload it, so I figured why not since I have the time now 🙂 . For those of you that are starting your year off right, I will be attempting some more healthy recipes, I’m here to cater to EVERYONE! So stay tuned for those also, but for now here’s this yummy friend chicken and savory waffle recipe, Enjoy!
Side note: I inherited the idea of this recipe and made some tweaks from a Pinterest blog, check out their blog here: http://www.thecandidappetite.com
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN:
- 1lb Chicken Breast
- 3Cups Buttermilk ( Enough to cover and submerge your chicken breasts in).
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 Cups flour.
- In a large bowl, pour in buttermilk and add all spices (cayenne pepper, curry powder, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, cumin, back pepper) and hot sauce. Mix everything together thoroughly until combined.
- Place chicken breasts in buttermilk mixture and stir, making sure the chicken breasts are completely submerged into the buttermilk
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge, I’d say at least 30 mins. (you can use that time to get your waffle batter together to make your waffles.)
- Place the 2 cups of flour in large dish, sprinkle a little salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper into the flour mixture, about 1/2 a teaspoons each.
- Take chicken breasts out of the fridge, let sit for 10 mins.
- Take chicken breasts out of the buttermilk one by one and dredge in flour, then, one by one place back in butter milk then back into the flour, then sit them on a wire rack. Basically, you’re double dipping/coating the chicken.
- Heat skillet or what ever you choose to fry your chicken in, in about 2 1/2 inches of oil.
- Place as much chicken as you can into your skillet with out over crowding, allow each side to fry for 5 mins, 10 mins total cooking time or until your chicken is cooked, depending on its thickness.
- When done place chicken to drain on wire wrack, with a cookie sheet underneath to catch he access oil.
NOW ONTO THE WAFFLES.
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 6 scallions, chopped.
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and black pepper into large bowl.
- Create a well (hole) into the center of the flour mixture, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and place in the well (hole) of the dry ingredients, add buttermilk and butter and combine together with spoon, if its a bit too thick, just add some more buttermilk.
- There will be some lumps and that’s fine once everything is combined completely you can add the scallions and cheddar cheese. You won’t be stirring this too much, just simply fold everything into each other making sure its combing thoroughly.
- At this point, you can heat your waffle iron and according to how big your waffle iron is will depend on how much mixture you’ll put into it, Ill leave that up to you. After you’ve cooked your waffles you can go ahead and make your sandwiches, get creative! put whatever you want on them, I put lettuce, tomatoes and a little sriracha and maple syrup on mine 🙂 and there you have it!