- 2 cups self rising flour.
- 1 tbs sugar.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
- 2 tsp garlic powder.
- 2 tbs cold unsalted butter, sliced into squares.
- 1 tbs shortening.
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk.
- 1 cup of shredded/ grated cheese.
- half of a stick of butter. ( for brushing biscuits)
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely grated.
- 1 tsp garlic powder.
- 1 tbs fresh parsley, minced.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Sift together flour, sugar, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt ( if the kosher salt is too coarse to sift, just add it with out sifting.)
3. Add shortening and cold butter, begin to combing the cold butter and shortening with your fingers; pressing it into the flour, or you can use a fork. Do this until the shortening and butter is completely incorporated in the flour.
4. After the cold butter and shortening has been combined with the flour add the cheese and mix it together.
5. Make a well in the center of your flour and add cold buttermilk gradually, mix the flour with the buttermilk until you get a sticky clumpy mixture. Don’t mix the mixture too much, this will cause a tough non flaky /fluffy biscuit. You don’t want your dough too wet so if you feel like you should stop with the buttermilk, stop. Don’t pour all the buttermilk in at once.
6. After mixing all ingredients let sit for 10 mins. In that time melt butter, garlic, and parsley in a bowl, you can do this in the microwave or double boil it.
7. After 10 mins, roll your dough out slightly, remember you don’t want you knead it too much or your biscuit will be tough. you can use an ice cream scoop and place them on to a baking sheet depending on how big you want them or use a cookie cutter if you want round biscuits.
9. When they are finished, base them again with the butter mixture.
let cool for a bit then ENJOY 🙂