- 1 cup of self rising flour.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour.
- 3 tbs vegetable shortening.
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt.
- 1 tbs vegetable shortening, for roti on tawa.
- cooking brush
- wax paper
- Add flour and salt to bowl, add the 3 tbs lard. Combine shortening into flour by pressing it together with your hands, continue to do this till the shortening has completely combined into the flour.
2. Add water gradually, pouring a little at a time combining the water with flour with your hands until the dough is sticky.
3. Cover with plastic wrap, let sit for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, Roll out roti dough with rolling pin until thin.
5. Oil entire surface with 1 1/2 tbs vegetable oil, sprinkle with a little bit of all purpose flour then roll from one end to the other, like you’re rolling up a large carpet, or cinnamon roll, LOL.
6. Cut into 6 even pieces.
7. Form each piece into a round ball by simply closing the top and bottom and rounding it off in the palm of your hand.
8. Let them sit again, for another 15 mins.
9. Next, Heat tawa on medium high heat. Get a small bowl, put 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 1 tbs shortening. This will be used to brush the roti while it’s on the Tawa, if you dont have a tawa, you can use a flat wide frying pan.
10. After letting roti sit for 15 min, use rolling pin to roll roti out into a flat circle. Be sure to flip roti over and use rolling pin to roll on both sides to get the roti even, you want it to be thin, but not too thin where its going to break.
11. Place roti on hot Tawa, after 2 minutes you should start to see little bubbles, at that point flip the roti over and brush with oil/shortening combo. After another two minutes flip again and brush with oil/shortening. Let cook for another two minutes, use spatula to press down edges when the bubbly up.
12. Flip once more giving both sides 2 minutes, then fold in half. Traditionally after taking it off the tawa you would clap the roti between your hands to get it loose, flaky and layered. That’s a bit tricky to do and burns since it’s something that has to be done as soon as its off the tawa. A trick is to place the roti into a mug, close it and shake it a good 3 to 5 times.
13. Take the roti out of the mug, fold it and place in a bowl with wax paper. be sure to cover with wax paper so it doesn’t dry out.
repeat steps for the othe 5 rolls and thats it !